Sport Ireland is a new Government Agency established on 1st October 2015. It replaces the Irish Sports Council and the National Sports Campus Development Authority and takes on the functions previously performed by the Council and the Authority.
Sport Ireland has responsibility for the development of Irish sport, including responsibility for such matters as:
– the development of strategies relating to participation in sport
– supporting elite athletes in achieving excellence in sport
– facilitating standards of good conduct, fair play and the elimination of doping in sport
– the development of the National Sports Campus at Abbotstown, Blanchardstown
– the management and operation of the National Sports Campus
– the development of guidelines and codes of conduct promoting best practice for the protection of children in sport
– the development of coaches and tutors at all levels in sport
The Sport Ireland Act 2015 is the legislative basis for the body. Sport Ireland’s functions are set out in detail in Section 8 of the Sport Ireland Act 2015.
Information on the Irish Sports Council and the National Sports Campus Development Authority, including Annual Reports, is available at the following links to their respective websites; www.irishsportscouncil.ie and www.nscda.ie
Details of appointment
Two Board Members are being sought to fill positions on the Board.
Under the Sport Ireland Act, appointments to the Board will be for an initial period of up to 5 years with an option to extend the term of engagement for a second term of up to 5 years.
Ordinary Members of the Board are entitled to remuneration of €7,695 per annum. It is Government policy that Board fees should not be paid to public servants. Travel and subsistence expenses arising from the business of the Board are payable in accordance with Government guidelines.
How to apply
Expressions of Interest should be submitted through the State Boards website: http://www.stateboards.ie/stateboards/campaignAdvert/24274.htm
The closing date for receipt of expressions of interest is Tuesday 24 November 2015.