Camogie Association celebrate the launch of A Game of Our Own: Camogie’s Story
President of the Camogie Association Joan O’Flynn officially launched A Game of Our Own: Camogie’s Story at an event attended by a glittering array of stars from camogie, GAA and general sports at Croke Park tonight (Thursday, December 15th).
RTÉ broadcaster Marty Morrissey acted as the official master of ceremonies. Speakers on the night included author Mary Moran; Cork Camogie star and Team of the Century recipient Pat Moloney Lenihan as well as Kate Kelly, a member of current All Ireland champions Wexford and the holder of five All Star Awards.
Speaking at the launch President of the Camogie Association Joan O’Flynn:
“When the Camogie Association was founded there were many challenges facing women, let alone women in sport. Our pioneering founders turned challenges into opportunities and were the first to establish a women’s Gaelic game.
The publication of A Game of Our Own: Camogie’s Story documents, for the first time, a distinctive and national narrative of the players, teams and games that have absorbed generations.
The production of a book like A Game of Our Own: Camogie’s Story shows how much was achieved through the amazing and unstinting work of volunteers. Our more recent history shows how much more that voluntary effort can achieve when it is supported by public policy including direct funding from the statutory authorities.
In the last decade, we have gone from strength to strength and government funding from the
A Game of Our Own: Camogie’s Story can be purchased by contacting the Camogie Association on 01 865 8651.
Notes to the editor
- Photographs from the launch of A Game of Our Own: Camogie’s Story are available from Sportsfile at www.sportsfile.com
- Mary Moran, author of A Game of Our Own: Camogie’s Story is a past President of the Camogie Association. She is currently involved with the Association’s Communications Committee. A native of
Limerick, A Game of our Own: Camogie’s Story is her eighth publication. Other titles include A History of Cork Camogie, History of Munster Camogie and A History of Second Level Colleges Camogie as well as two coaching manuals.
- Pat Moloney Lenihan played camogie for Youghal and later with her native Killeagh, Divisional side Imokilly and
. She is the holder of 7 senior All Ireland medals with Cork Cork Corkto All Ireland success in 1982 and was honoured with the B & I Award (Player of the Year) in 1978. She was named on the Camogie Team of the Century in 2004 (Centenary Year). Pat is a Lecturer in the Department of Applied Social Studies at University College Cork.
- A Game of Our Own: Camogie’s Story costs €25 plus €5 post and packaging and can be ordered from the Camogie Association by logging onto www.camogie and downloading an order form. Orders can also be made by contacting the Camogie Association on 01 865 8651.
- For further information go to www.camogie.ie and facebook.com/Camogie Association