Official Website of the Camogie Association

By C¾ilÝn Duffy

An injury time pointed free from Niamh Mulcahy for Limerick ensured that the Shannosiders and Cork must meet again after their 1-10 to 2-7 draw in yesterday’s All-Ireland Senior B camogie championship semi-final in the Gaelic Grounds.
Although Limerick opened the scoring thanks to a Niamh Mulcahy point, once Maria Watson found Cork’s first goal after two minutes, the Rebels weren’t to trail in this game.
Watson was Cork’s scorer-in-chief over the hour, in what was a fine game played in ideal conditions with little wind advantage for either side to talk about.
The full-forward scored four of Cork’s five first half points, as the Rebels entered the break holding a 1-5 to 0-3 lead, with Eileen O’Brien and Mairead Kelly, scoring the other two points for the homeside.
However Limerick emerged a strong force after the interval with two quick points from Rose Collins and Eileen O’Brien cutting the deficit to a goal margin.
Despite Maria Watson taking the next point for Cork, this was really only a blip in what was a very dominant spell for Limerick and the sides were level for the second time in the game thanks to two good points from Eileen O’Brien, and another from substitute and duel player Dympna O’Brien.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes, Cork once again got on top thanks to a Deirdre Twomey point and an Aisling Thompson goal to leave the score at 2-7 to 0-7.
However Limerick weren’t far off their opponents and took and excellent goal from Aoife Sheehan while points from Sarah Sheehan and a late Niamh Mulcahy free ensured a replay in Cork next weekend.
On Saturday early groundwork by Kilkenny ensured they advance to the final of the Minor A Camogie championship, following a very competitive semi-final at Commercials, Rathcoole with a 6-6 to 3-6 win over Antrim.
Despite Kilkenny holding a 4-1 to 0-4 at interval lead, the Ulster girls came back strongly after the interval,.

The Cats were forced to withstand a strong Antrim challenge on the restart but it was Kilkenny’s good work in the opening half which ensured that they had done enough early on to book a place in the decider.
Kilkenny’s opening half goals came from Michelle Quilty (2); Sinead Long and Katie Power, and although Antrim found the net thanks to Louise McKeown on the restart, it was late in the game when Emma McMullen hit home a further two ‘majors’.
Early wides cost Antrim this game as the Kilkenny forwards capitalised on every opportunity with McMullen’s goals mere consolation, as the Cats progressed to a final meeting with Cork next weekend.
KILKENNY: M Quilty 3-2; K Power, S Long 1-1 each; M Dargan 1-0; L Gahan, A Dunphy 0-1 each.
ANTRIM: E McMullen 2-0; L McKeown 1-0; L McCaul 0-3; R McCarry 0-2; L McAleese 0-1.

Share this post:

Our Sponsors

Our Partners