Official Website of the Camogie Association

Galway cemented their place in the semi-finals of the Gala All-Ireland senior camogie championship by inflicting a second defeat of the round-robin phase on Cork in Athenry yesterday.
Noel Finn’s crew set the platform for their 1-14 to 0-11 success over the champions in the first half, at the end of which they led by 1-8 to 0-5.
Playing with a slight breeze, the Corribsiders flew out of the traps with a point from Veronica Curtin after just 19 seconds. A minute later, Tara Rutledge pounced for a goal after Aislinn Connolly’s free hit the woodwork.
Five of the six forwards scored from play in that opening half while in contrast, only Emer O’Sullivan did so for Cork, with SÝle Burns slotting four frees.
Burns added three more frees after the resumption, as well as a point from play, but with Curtin dropping back to perform a sweeper’s role to perfection, Cork just could not carve open the goal chance they needed.
Indeed it was Galway who went closest to hitting the net again, when a fine move involving Orla Kilkenny and Rutledge finished with Caroline Murray being denied by a brilliant save from Aoife Murray.
Kilkenny are also as good as in the last four having maintained their 100% record from three games played. Ann Downey’s charges faced a few anxious moments before coming away with the 2-18 to 3-12 win against Tipperary.
They dominated most of the tie and led by 1-10 to 0-3 after 23 minutes, the goal coming from Shelley Farrell eight minutes earlier after good work by Aoife Neary.
Marie Dargan struck the net again with 10 minutes remaining to stretch their advantage to 14 points but they failed to score again, while Tipp through caution to wind, Mairead Luttrell and Joanne Ryan grabbing goals.
It took a brilliant interception from Lizzie Lyng to deny the Premier a late equalising opportunity but the Black and Amber held out.
Wexford secured an ultimately comfortable win over Clare on a 2-17 to 1-5 scoreline but were not at their best against a Banner outfit that has improved significantly in the past 12 months.
Clare had the wind in the opening half and trailed by just 0-7 to 0-3 at half time but once the league queenpins had the advantage of the elements, they pulled clear.
Lenny Holahan struck for a goal 14 minutes into the second half and though MaireÚad Scanlon responded in kind three minutes later, Ursula Jacob’s eye for a point helped Wexford edge clear.
The sharpshooter finished with seven points, five of which came from play and substitute Eveyln Quigley hand-passed to the Clare net in injury time to ensure a flattering margin of victory.

For all the latest results see

Share this post:

Our Sponsors

Our Partners