A piece of sporting history will be created in this year’s Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Camogie final as Galway and Kilkenny meet for the first time ever in a Senior Camogie final.
Galway are contesting their third senior final in four years, losing the 2010, 2011 deciders to Wexford while Kilkenny return to GAA HQ for the first time since 2009. Remarkably the sides have never met, since the first senior All Ireland in 1932. Kilkenny lead the roll call of honours with 12 titles to Galway’s one.
Representatives of both sides, including Kilkenny captain Michelle Quilty, Galway captain Lorraine Ryan, inter-county Camogie and Hurling siblings Heather and Shane Cooney (Galway) and Grace and Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny) joined President of the Camogie Association Aileen Lawlor and Annette Ni Dhathlaoi, Head of Marketing, Liberty Insurance at the Liberty Insurance Camogie Finals media preview event at Croke Park.
Clodagh Flanagan (Kildare) and Sarah Ann Fitzgerald (Laois) also attended the event along with Michelle Casey (Limerick) and Sinead Keane (Galway). Laois and Kildare have met twice this year, with honours even while Limerick and Galway met once in this year’s league, with Limerick taking the spoils.
Speaking at the event President of the Camogie Association Aileen Lawlor said:
“Our upcoming Liberty Insurance All Ireland Camogie Finals is the biggest day on the Camogie calendar and we are looking forwardly immensely to three superb games. The meeting of Kilkenny and Galway is historic and it’s remarkable that both of these camogie super-powers have never crossed paths in a senior final in the Association’s long history.
This year also marks the first of the Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Finals day, and we are delighted to have enjoyed such an exciting championship with Liberty Insurance in their first year as joint sponsors of both the Hurling and Camogie All Ireland championships. I urge all of the Camogie and GAA community to come to Croke Park on September 15th and support our national game and also our leading players.”
The Liberty Insurance All Ireland Camogie Finals triple header takes place on September 15th in Croke Park. Laois and Kildare meet in the Premier Junior final at noon; Limerick and Galway in the Intermediate at 2.00pm and Galway face Kilkenny at 4.00pm.
Annette Ni Dhathlaoi, Head of Marketing, Liberty Insurance commented:
“Liberty Insurance has chosen a very exciting year to join the camogie and hurling family and we wish all remaining teams the best of luck. Liberty Insurance is keen to promote and support both codes equally and our commitment extends far beyond the championship season. Our recently launched GAA club offer on Libertygaa.ie allows camogie and GAA clubs to raise funds for their local clubs. We hope such initiatives will have a lasting benefit to both codes as ultimately it’s one game and one family.”
Ticket prices for the Liberty Insurance Camogie Finals are: Adult: €30 Student/OAP: €15 Juveniles (U16): €5. Further ticket details are available on camogie.ie and tickets.ie/camogie.
For further information contact:
Claire Egan, Communications & Marketing Director, The Camogie Association, 01 865 8618/087 9030 755 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aoife McDonald, WHPR, 087 410 0777
Notes to the editor:
• Photographs from the Liberty Insurance All Ireland Finals preview media event are available from Inpho Photography.
• Liberty Insurance All Ireland Camogie Finals Sunday September 15th: Premier Junior Laois v Kildare, 12noon; Intermediate Final Galway v Limerick, 2.00pm; Senior Final Galway v Kilkenny, 4.00pm.
• Tony Ward (Manager), Heather Cooney, Lorraine Ryan, Sinead Keane, Shane Cooney (Galway), Graham Dillon, Niall Williams, (Joint managers) Michelle Quilty, Grace Walsh, Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny), Joe Quaid (Manager) Michelle Casey (Limerick), Mattie Collier (Manager) Sarah Ann Fitzgerald (Laois), Jim McMullen (Manager) Clodagh Flanagan (Kildare) all represented their counties at the Liberty Insurance Camogie Finals Media Event.
• Ticket prices for the Liberty Insurance Camogie Finals are: Adult: €30 Student/OAP: €15 Juveniles (U16): €5. Further ticket details are available on camogie.ie and tickets.ie/camogie. Tickets are available to purchase at Centra and Supervalu stores nationwide, online at tickets.ie/camogie and on match day in Croke Park.
• Follow Camogie on twitter.com/offficialcamogie Facebook.com/offficialcamogieassociation
* Pictured: Sinead Keane (Galway) Clodagh Flanagan (Kildare) Michelle Quilty (Kilkenny) Annette Ni Dhathlaoi, Head of Marketing, Liberty Insurance, Aileen Lawlor, President of the Camogie Association, Lorraine Ryan, (Galway), Michelle Casey (Limerick), Sarah Ann Fitzgerald (Laois)
* Watch a video with Camogie & Hurling siblings Grace & Tommy Walsh who also attended the Liberty Insurance Camogie Finals Media Event: Tommy & Grace Walsh Camogie & Hurling Family