Official Website of the Camogie Association

Kilkenny reversed the result of last year’s final with a thrilling 0-13 to 2-6 victory over Cork in the second round of Gala All-Ireland senior camogie championship matches.
The tie ended controversially however, as Gemma O’Connor’s long-range free from midfield in the fifth minute of injury time was signalled as a point by one umpire who waved the white flag.
The other umpire waved the shot wide however and after consulting with his two officials, referee Alan Lagrue decided that O’Connor’s well-struck shot had drifted outside the post, much to the anger of Cork’s players and management.
Kilkenny were the better team in the first half and deservedly led at the break by 0-7 to 0-3, but two early goals from SÝle Burns helped Cork go three points clear.
Ann Downey’s crew hit back though in the final 10 minutes and injury time points from Anna Dalton and substitute Kelly Hamilton edged them in front before the dramatic conclusion.
Tipperary scored two late goals from Claire Grogan and Aoife McLoughney but that only served to put a better gloss on the scoreline for Eoin Brislane’s team as Galway cruised to a 1-19 to 2-7 success.
The westerners imposed themselves mid-way through the first half and a brilliant goal from Aislinn Connolly after 18 minutes helped them establish a 1-9 to 0-6 lead at half time, the team captain executing a delightful overhead flick from Therese Maher’s long delivery.
Connolly finished up with a personal tally of 1-9 as the westerners pulled away after the restart before Tipp put a measure of respectability on the scoreboard with those two consolation goals.
Meanwhile, in the evening game, Wexford skipper Una Leacy hit a hat-trick of goals as the league champions romped to a 7-25 to 0-3 win over Dublin at Wexford Park.
Dublin actually started very well and Louise O’Hara had their three points on the board from frees by the eighth minute, by which stage they led by one.
Lenny Holohan goaled for Wexford three minutes later however and it was one-way traffic from there.
Leacy bagged two of her goals, either side of an Ursula Jacob major as the Model girls led by 4-10 to 0-3 at the change of ends. Fiona Kavanagh and Katrina Parrock also struck the net after the resumption before Leacy notched up her third goal seven minutes from time.

Share this post:

Our Sponsors

Our Partners