Official Website of the Camogie Association

Leinster senior championship semi-final:
Dublin 4-6, Wexford 2-11

IT was  a very proud day for Skerries Harps and Dublin defender Jeam Murphy as she saw her native Dublin carve a one oint victory over the reigning Leinster and All-Ireland champions Wexford in the Leinster semi-final.

The champions began well and looked the more composed side for most of the first half, but a goal midway from hat-trick goal scorer Sarah Ryan left just three points in the defecit at the break, Wexford 1-5, Dublin 1-2.

Dublin’s first goal was well worked. A free taken by 2006 All-Star Louise O’Hara might have been expected to go over the bar, but the Erin’s Isle star had other notions. She decided a goal was needed and so she struck for goal. The ball landed in the square, there was not much space to pull on the sliotar, but suddenly Sarah Ryan got her stick to smack it home past Wexford All-Star goalie Mags D’Arcy. The home side were ahead 1-1 to 0-2 after just fifteen minutes.

Wexford were unfortunate to have lost young Katrina Parrock due to injury just before this goal and her place was filled by Louise Codd. At this stage Lennie Holohan who started at left full forward was causing major problems for the visitors and just six minutes after the opening goal she scored the first Slaney side goal to put her side ahead 1-5 to 1-2 at the break.

The very vocal crowd got behind Dublin in the second half and two minutes into the restart, Louise O’Hara pointed a free for Dublin, but Wexford’s response was quick with a Kate Kelly forty five three minutes later. The young Dubs who earlier were photographed with the Seaghan O’Duffy Cup were cheering on their team and soon their  heroines responded but not before Wexford got their second goal from that inform Lennie Holohan who had her twin Bernie in the panel.

Wexford, who were motoring well now added a further two points from Una Leacy and Rose-Marie Breen before Dublin’s midfielder Fiona Corcoran made it point number five for the Dubs. Ciara Burgess at left half forward was going well for Dublin and so too was Louise O’Hara who just never gave up. When the ball broke down the field towards the Wexford goal Sarah Ryan was there to make it a brace of goals for Dublin. Only four points separated the sides now and it was all to fight for with ten minutes to the whistle.   

Both sides gave it their all and the crowd were cheering both sides to victory, but in the end it was Dublin who finished the stronger with two more goals inside the last six minutes. Louise O’Hara was awarded a free by referee Ciaran Quigley and again she decided to go for gold. This time it went all the way to the net, the Dubs were thrilled, Wexford were wrattled, but the champions still had a one point lead. It was a nail biting finish.

Both sides exchanged points before Sarah Ryan made it a good day for the Dublin Manager David Kennedy as she found the net again two minutes into injury time. This time there was no time left for the All-Ireland and Leinster champions to come back and so it is Dublin who will now meet Kilkenny in the Leinster Final.  

Dublin: 4-6: S Ryan 3-0, L O’ Hara 1-2 (0-1f), C Lucey 0-1’45, J Hoary, F Corcorcan, C Burgess 0-1 each.
Wexford: 2-11: L Holohan 2-2, U Leacy 1-3, U Jacob 0-4, R M Breen 0-1,  K Kelly 0-1 ’45.

Share this post:

Our Sponsors

Our Partners