Official Website of the Camogie Association


Centre forward Veronica Curtin bagged 1-6 for the Tribeswomen, who held the hosts scoreless in the second half at the Limerick IT grounds.

Curtin helped herself to 1-2 in the first half as Galway recovered from a blistering Limerick start to go in level at the break, 1-6 to 2-3.

The Shannonsiders scored two goals in the very first minute of the game as Aoife Sheehan netted from a free after just 30 seconds and when the same player had another free blocked by Galway goalkeeper Susan Earner, Veronica Curtin’s sister Orla was on hand to pick up the pieces.

That superb Limerick start knocked the stuffing out of Galway but the visitors battled back superbly, despite playing into the teeth of a strong wind on an exposed LIT pitch.

Veronica Curtin’s 16th-minute goal hauled Galway back into contention and three quickfire points from Lourda Kavanagh helped to bring the sides level at half-time.

Limerick failed to register a single score in a one-sided second half as the prolific Curtin added four frees before substitute Clodagh Glynn made sure of the victory with Galway’s second goal four minutes from time.

Incidentally, both Curtin sisters finished as top scores for their respective teams as Limerick star Orla added a first half point to her early goal.

Substitute Catriona Davis and Eileen O’Brien were also on target for Limerick during the opening half but they drew a blank after the break as Galway came on strong.

Meanwhile, defending champions Cork remain very much in contention for a final place after defeating Dublin 2-10 to 1-8.

After playing with the wind at their backs, visitors Cork opened up a 1-8 to 0-2 half-time lead as Dublin, who are now out of contention for a final place, struggled to cope.

Una O’Donoghue scored a superb individual goal for Cork in the first half but the Rebelettes went 22 minutes without a score after half-time as Dublin rallied.

Dublin’s first touch let them down in that opening half and with Cork quicker off the mark; they built up what eventually proved a match-winning lead.

Dublin were dominant on the resumption but Sheila Burns, who scored 1-3 in total for Cork, grabbed a crucial goal with five minutes remaining to quell the rising Sky Blue tide.

Dublin did score a late goal themselves when Niamh Taylor, who bagged 1-3, took a pass from Ciara Burgess before finding the net but it was too little, too late.

For Dublin, Niamh O’Hara landed 0-5, including three frees, while Joleen Hoary picked off three points from play.

Cork will meet Kilkenny and Dublin face Wexford in the final round of Division 1 matches as Galway await their opponents in next month’s final.

Meanwhile, there were victories for Derry, Clare and Waterford while in Division 2, Offaly and Kildare recorded wins as Roscommon and Meath finished level.


Share this post:

Our Sponsors

Our Partners