Official Website of the Camogie Association

Compiled by Daragh Ó Conchúir
Kerry and Tyrone will contest the All-Ireland Minor C Championship Final after clearing their respective penultimate hurdles.
The Kingdom girls got more from the very strong wind at Gort than a valiant Mayo, turning around a six-point deficit to prevail by 2-6 to 1-5.
The elements also had an impact at Inniskeen Grattans but Tyrone were too strong for Wicklow, doing the damage in the first half on the way to a 1-9 to 0-2 success.
Despite playing into the gale, Kerry got the scoring under way in Gort through Amy Sullivan but Mayo settled into proceedings with a couple of points from Méabh Delaney, while Ellen Tener and Aoife Doherty also raised white flags.
Fionnuala McLaughlin added a vital goal and Miriam Page’s troops were in a strong position at the interval, leading by 1-4 to 0-1.
It was no surprise that Kerry would have the whip hand after the restart, Caoimhe Spillane reducing the deficit early on and then Lia O’Connell grabbing a fine goal in the 41st minute.
Mayo goalie, Anna Durkin kept her side in front with a brilliant save from the very next attack but Sarah Lawlor sent the net dancing at the beginning of the final quarter and Sullivan added three more points to bring her tally to four.
Saoirse Delaney registered Mayo’s only score of the half to leave a goal between them but Lawlor split the posts at the other end to guarantee her side’s advance.
Tyrone reeled off seven straight points in the first 19 minutes of their Semi-Final, Kaitlin Gallagher and Lara Devlin hitting two points each from play for an excellent start.
Keeley Fay converted a free but Tyrone were finding plenty of space and able to fashion opportunities in open play, Eve Hughes and Sian Fitzgerald putting seven between the sides
Wicklow showed plenty of mental fortitude though as their overworked defence kept the Red Hand representatives at bay for the reminder of the half, while winning a free at the other end that Isabel Keenaghan converted to make it 0-7 to 0-1.
Wicklow would certainly have been optimistic with the wind in the second half but they just weren’t able to put enough pressure on Barry Fay and Leona Gallagher’s outfit. Indeed they needed a penalty save by Erin Byrne straight after the resumption to remain in contention.
Devlin stretched the gap with a point soon after though and when Lauren Reilly goaled mid-way through latter period, there was no way back for the Garden County.
Eleanor Carroll provided their sole score of the second half from a free but Gallagher joined Devlin on three points as Tyrone progressed without fuss.

Share this post:

Our Sponsors

Our Partners