The joint presentations were made by President of the Camogie Association Joan O’Flynn and Shane D’Arcy, President of CCAO.
The ten recipients were: Ciara Donnelly, a student at Queens University Belfast; University of Ulster Jordanstown duo Paula Gribben and Eleanor Mallon; NUI Galway student R¾isÝn Connaughton. This year’s Ashbourne hosts and defending champions WIT are represented by Sarah-Anne Fitzgerald. DCU student and Dublin native Laura Twomey; Limerick students Carolyn Motherway from UL and Naomi Carroll from Mary Immaculate and Meath Soaring Star Aine Keogh from Dundalk IT complete the list.
Speaking about the awards President of the Camogie Association Joan O’Flynn:
""I’m delighted to congratulate each recipient on their success. I hope the achievement of a National Camogie bursary supports each player in her academic progress and also encourages each player to continue her involvement in our game.""
President of the CCAO, Shane D’Arcy added:
""I congratulate all of the recipients and wish them well in their studies for the year ahead. There was huge interest in the national bursaries again this year. I thank the Camogie Association for the funding which makes these bursaries possible as they are a fantastic way of rewarding the hard work and dedication of third level players.""
The ten recipients were awarded their bursaries on foot of an extensive application form and interview process in November of this year.
Notes to the editor
- Photographs from the event are available from Sportsfile www.sportsfile.com
- Comhairle Cham¾gaÝochta um Ard-Oideachas (CCAO the Higher Education Camogie Council)
- This year’s Ashbourne, Purcell and Fr. Meachair Finals (third level university competitions) take place in Waterford Institute of Technology, Waterford February 18th and 19th.
- Waterford Institute of Technology are the current holders of the Ashbourne Cup while Queens University Belfast are the current holders of the Purcell Cup.
- For information on 2011/2012 applications for Third Level Bursaries check out www.cccao.ie and www.camogie.ie
- Recipients of 2011/2012 Camogie Association & CCAO Third Level Bursaries:
- Sarah-Anne Fitzgerald, College: WIT, Club: Camross, Co.Laois
- Eleanor Mallon, College: UUJ, Creggan Kickhams, Co.Antrim
- Paula Gribben, College: UUJ, Club: Clonduff, Co. Down
- Ciara Donnelly, College: QUB, St. Mary’s Granemore, Co. Armagh
- Carolyn Motherway, College: UL, Club: St. Catherines, Co.Cork
- Eileen McElroy, College: UCD, Club: Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan
- Aine Keogh, College: Dundalk IT, Club: Dunboyne, Co. Meath
- R¾isÝn Connaughton, College: NUIG, Club: Naomh Dominic, Co.Roscommon
- Laura Twomey, College: DCU, Club: Naomh Mearnog, Co. Dublin
- Naomi Carroll, College: MICL, Club: Sixmilebridge, Co Clare