Official Website of the Camogie Association

Ulster Club final

Lavey   4-6       Keady 4-5

A goal from Donna Magill in the second minute of extra time decided this Ulster club final thriller in Keady and ended the home side’s dreams of a third successive title.

Paula McCloy’s effort was broken down but Magill reacted quickest and, although there were five additional minutes to play, Lavey had landed their first provincial title on a 4-6 to 4-5 scoreline.

After suffering four final defeats since they first collected a Derry title 13 seasons ago, Lavey were simply relieved to hear the final whistle sound.

Then the congratulations followed with veteran Siobhßn Convery at last getting her hands on a provincial club medal.

“”My only feeling at the moment is relief,”” she said as she caught her breath.

“”The club has lost Ulster finals by a good margin in the past and also come close as well.  It is just simply brilliant to be looking forward to an All-Ireland semi-final now.””

“”Keady were two up and time seemed to be flying past.  Then when we went in front, it seemed to take an eternity before the whistle came.””  

“”I’m playing the longest of this group of players, but I feel now for all the players down through the years that worked so hard and didn’t get what I have today.  I’m lucky.””

Siobhan was part of a great team that kept going to the end and came good when it mattered most.  Her centre-half back Edelle Henry however played a huge part in the victory.

She marshalled Collette McKeever very well throughout the game holding the Keady goal-machine to a single score – a 21st minute penalty award that put the south Armagh side 2-2 to 1-2 ahead.

But the first half still ended with Lavey leading 2-3 to 2-2 after a second wonder-goal from Mary O’Kane that was created by a superb pass from 16-year-old Teresa McElroy.

Mary had fired in a 14th minute opening goal, which Kerry Mone had cancelled a mere 90 seconds later.

Claire Kinsella tied the teams on 2-3 each within 30 second of the re-start and Kerry Mone grabbed her second goal a few minutes later to put Keady back in front.

Lavey hit back with points from Paula McCloy and Eimear Murphy and then a beautiful goal from Paula McCloy in the 42nd minute gave her side the lead.

It lasted just 60 seconds before Michelle Murphy got Keady’s fourth goal and frees from Helena Mallon and Claire Kinsella edged them ahead with time running out and scores at a premium.

The seven minutes of injury time were not a surprise as the heavy conditions had been taking their toll on the players.  Those extra minutes delivered the all important final goal of a terrific final – and triggered the celebrations expected with first-time winners everywhere.


Lavey : Ciara Boyle, Aidene McVeigh, Kathleen Taggart, Ciara Mullan, Alana Ward, Edelle Henry, Ceara Cushnahan, Clare McCloy 0-1 free, Attracta McPeake, Paula McCloy 1-3, 0-2 free, Siobhan Convery 0-1, Shauneen McCann, Teresa McElroy, Mary O’Kane 2-0, Helen O’Neill capt.

Subs :   Donna Magill 1-0, for T McElroy, Eimear Murphy 0-1 for S McCann. 

Keady : Laura Comiskey, Patrice Murphy, Michelle Murray, Colleen Comiskey, Eileen McCrory capt, Helena Mallon 0-1 free, Katrina Kinsella, Kiera Keenan, Roisin Murray, Colleen Conway 0-1, Collette McKeever 1-0 pen, Claire Kinsella 0-3, 0-2 frees, Michelle Murphy 1-0, Kerry Mone 2-0, Orlagh Murray.

Subs :   KA Comiskey for O Murray, Sarah Molloy for K Mone.

Referee : John Treanor (Down).



Derry retained their Ulster under 14 title and were convincing winners over Antrim in Loughgiel yesterday morning.

The visitors were on top in most areas of the field and but for the excellence of the Saffron defence, the margin of victory would have been much wider.

They led by 2-2 to a point from Julie Dixon at the break, with goals from Shannon Kearney and Catherine McColgan.

In the second half Noleen McKenna, who had starred for St Patrick’s Maghera the day before in the All-Ireland Sevens, grabbed a goal and a point and with Aoife Ni Chaiside brilliant at the back, there was simply no way through for Antrim.

Derry : E Friel, C McBride, M Quinn, C McAteer, C Glass, A Ni Chaiside, P McIlwee, C McColgan 1-1, R Mulholland capt 0-1, K Mullan, S Kearney 1-1, B McGillian, C McCloskey, N McKenna 1-1, S Quinn.

Subs : A Convery for C McCloskey, C McKeefrey for S Quinn.

Antrim : M Coyle, S Woulahan, L Elliot capt, M Lynn, S McCarry, N Patterson, S Connor, N Doherty, J McKeown, F Maguire, O O’Hara, J Dickson 0-1, C Maybin, O Donnelly E Laverty.

Subs C McGuckain for C Maybin, N Butler for E Laverty, S Cosgrove for N Doherty, A McPolin for O Donnelly.

Referee : P McQuillan

Share this post:

Our Sponsors

Our Partners