Official Website of the Camogie Association

Wexford 2-11 Dublin 1-3.
Fresh from their National League win last weekend, the Wexford Senior camogie team were in action again on Saturday in the Leinster Championship semi final when they met Dublin in Ferns.  Dublin have been some what troublesome to Wexford before at this stage of the competition, but on Saturday, Wexford put on a fine performance and put Dublin away with relative ease. 

Wexford got off the mark and settled quickly when Lenny Holohan pointed from play in the opening minute, this was quickly followed by a goal from Josie Dwyer when she got on the end of a ball that Kate Kelly had passed to Caroline Murphy who found her club mate Dwyer who had no problem finishing to the net.  In a similar passage of play, Kelly won a ball which she again passed off to Murphy and Una Leacy this time obliged and pointed from play.  

JosDwyer added another point in the 6th from play followed by a Rose Marie Breen point also from play in the 7th.  Wexford were dominant throughtout the field and when Aine Codd took a Wexford free, Caroline Murphy was on hand again to pick up the ball which she hit on to Una Leacy who added another point to Wexford’s tally.  Dublin were awarded a free in the 12th which was taken by Niamh Taylor who put it over the bar to get Dublin onto the scoreboard.  Wexford added two further points both from play in the 17th, the first from Rose Marie Breen and the second from Caroline Murphy from a Dwyer pass.Dublin’s Amy Murphy had a chance to go to the net in the 20th but it was brilliantly intercepted by Deirdre Codd who had a very good game at full back. 

Joeleen Hoary pointed for Dublin in the 18th, before Josie Dwyer broke free and got in behind the Dublin defence and hammered the ball into the Dublin net giving the keeper no chance to make a save.  Ursula Jacob pointed from play and the last score of the first half went to Dublin’s Louise O’Hara who pointed from play in the 28th.  This saw the sides go in at half time Wexford 2-8.

Wexford made some changes to the team in the second half with Helena Jacob coming on for Mags Darcy, Georgina Moore for Michelle Hearne and Mag Kelly coming on for Bernie Holohan and later into the second half Noeleen Lambert

d Clare O’Connor and Siona Nolan came in for Rose Marie Breen. The second half was not as flowing as the first with neither side wanting to concede any  scores, in fact Wexford only managed three points in the second half, a point from Rose Marie Breen from play, one from Ursula Jacob also from play and a point from a 45 by Kate Kelly. 

Dublin kept working hard and were eventually rewarded with a goal from Ciara Lucey in the 26th minute. But Wexford had done enough in the first half and Dublin never really posed any threat to them.  Wexford played with confidence and put on a good display of team work throughout the field.  They will now meet Kilkenny in the Leinster Championship final, the date and venue to be confirmed.
Wexford: M. D’arcy, C. O’Connor, D. Codd, B. Holohan, A. Codd, M. Leacy, M. O’Leary, C. Murphy, K. Kelly, J. Dwyer, R.M. Breen, L. Holohan, U. Leacy, U Jacob, M. Hearne, H. Jacob, G. Moore, M. Kelly, N. Lambert, K. Parrock, C. Storey, L. Codd, K. Atkinson, E. Quigley, C. Atkinson, S. Nolan, S. Redmond, C. O’Loughlin, A. O’Connor.
Dublin: E. Butler, A. Fitzpatrick, C. Lucey, C. Power, R. Costello, L. O’Hara, E. O’Meara, L. Twomey, D. Smith, S. Ryan, A. Maguire, N. Taylor, M. Twomey, A. Murphy, J. Hoary, E. Brannigan, A. Griffin, A.M. McCluskey, S. Curran, R. Ruddy, T. Corrigan, A.McCluskey.

Share this post:

Our Sponsors

Our Partners